Saturday, September 4, 2010

Hyperemesis+Dehydration= Hours in the ER

Day after day, my morning sickness or shall I say, "all day sickness" doesn't seem to ease up any, even with multiple anti-nausea prescriptions. I try to eat and I try to drink and NOTHING seems to stay inside my stomach. Our poor baby! So, after 24 hours of no food in my body, the nurse told us to get to the ER right away. This turned into a 7 hour long visit, with liter after liter of saline solution and anti-nausea medications being pumped through an IV. Finally, I was rehydrated and able to go home! I've officially been diagnosed with hyperemesis, which is a severe form of "morning sickness, where vomiting is excessive and may cause dehydration and chemical imbalances in the body. It occurs in about 1% of pregnancies. Awesome! And, of course, I happen to fall into that 1%. Ha ha, I truly am a walking medical case, even when I'm pregnant. My poor husband having to take care of me all the time. Brian, I am sorry! Thank you for all you do, I love you so much!

Anyway, during this constant battle between food and my body, there's been a lot of talk about getting a PICC IV line put in for a few months. I am dreading this possibility, but if it helps me and the baby, I know it will be worth it. We have an appointment this coming Tuesday and we're anxious to see what's determined by my doctor, as well as getting to hear our baby's heartbeat!! This pregnancy has been anything but blissful, but through it all, I am SO grateful for this baby. I just hope and pray that everything continues to go well for the next few weeks until we are out of the first trimester. And, I hope more than anything that our baby is healthy and okay.


This is my grumpy/sticking my tongue out at my husband face, because he wouldn't stop taking pictures of me! Thank you for helping me document this beautiful moment of pregnancy sweetheart!! ;)

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there Ali! Could you drink anything with electrolytes, like a Gatorade or Vitamin Water? That way you can stay hydrated and add a bit of salt to your diet. I think that could help you with the nausea (my doctors have me drinking it as well). Let me know if I can cheer you up at all. Praying for you and your baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ali-You poor thing! I have been thinking of you a lot lately. I am so glad to hear that the baby is doing well but sorry to find out you have been so ill. Keep your chin up! Miss and love you tons and know that I am sending prayers and well wishes your way.

    ReplyDelete