I went to my baby appointment on February 18th thinking everything was fine. I had quite a bit of swelling in my hands, legs, feet and face, but I assumed it was normal because pregnant women get swollen all the time, right? Apparently, gaining 8lbs of water weight in one week and swelling up like the pillsbury dough boy, is in fact NOT okay. That, along with a huge rise in my blood pressure equalled me going home with a beautiful, orange bucket and a urine catcher for my toilet!!! How embarrassing! I get to collect my urine every time I use the restroom for 24 hours, dump it in my lovely, orange bucket and keep it in my fridge. It's actually been quite comedic though, Brian and I laugh anytime I need to go potty and we have to fetch my bucket! Anyway, those test results came back the next day and I had protein in my urine.
"What exactly does that mean?" I asked my Dr.
She then informed me that I have all the symptoms of pre-eclampsia and with all the complications I've had so far, she is refusing to let me go past 39 weeks. So, lucky me... I get to have my little boy one week early!! However, with pre-eclampsia, things can go from okay to severe in a matter of hours, so they now have to watch both me and Brody very closely. She says she'll be happy if I make it to 36 or 37 weeks. Which means, I am now feeling very rushed and in panic mode trying to get everything ready for our little man to come. I can't believe he'll be here so soon, it still doesn't feel real that I'm going to be a mom. But, I am so excited to meet him and I am hoping he'll stay in just a little while longer so he can be strong and ready when he comes into this world.
Right now, I'm feeling a lot of excitement about his arrival. I am ready to have him in my arms, instead of in my belly. I am ready to be a mom. Being pregnant has been an incredible experience that I wouldn't take back for anything in this world. But, it's also been the most challenging experience I've ever been through, both emotionally and physically. There were times I thought to myself, "there's no way I can do this, I am not strong enough." And, yet here I am almost done, feeling happier than ever, knowing I am going to be a mom in just a few short weeks. I feel like the luckiest girl on earth! I am officially stuck on bed rest for the remaineder of my pregnancy and I have to go into the hospital twice a week for non-stress tests, labs and a check-up. But, I can honestly say I am really happy and I feel extremely relieved that they are monitoring Brody so closely and making sure he's okay. It's a blessing to know that I am in caring hands with doctors and nurses who are so nurturing and attentive to my needs.
Here's to my last 5 weeks of pregnancy and hoping they go well!!
I love you Brody bear. Mommy cannot wait to meet you!
Oh Alicia - I'm so sorry that you have been having such a hard time, but you are right - it is worth it. I just hope you can stay healthy long enough to get Brody here. Take it easy! Love ya.
ReplyDeleteFRIEND GEEZ!! This has been a tuff pregnancy for you, but you are such a strong trooper. You will make the BEST mom! I'm so excited for you and Brian. I have one request while you lay in bed. Take a picture of your cute belly....you'll wish you did;)
ReplyDeleteAlicia! I had preeclampsia too and it can be really scary. I am praying for you and your little baby. If you really take it easy and really monitor the way you are feeling everything will be just fine! I had my baby one month early because suddenly my blood pressure spiked and they were worried I could have a stroke! just keep the doctors posted on exactly how you are feeling. oh, and that pee jug is terrible!! Ha ha... Good luck!
ReplyDelete